Sublime Marine Oil Paintings – British Artist
Gillian Roberts is a very classy painter, charming and very knowledgeable artist. Gillian is another advocate of painting en plein air, capturing as much of the subject as she can on site, often finishing the painting entirely, returning to the same spot over several days if needs be.
Her paintings ooze freshness and vitality, and have a distinctive quality about them. From Yorkshire, much of her output is from her native county, although she paints many interiors and still lifes too.
Whatever Gillian paints though, is given 100% concentration, and nothing is left from the canvas. Her painting is an honest appraisal of what she sees in front of her, and the busy streets she so often portrays, are staggeringly good, especially considering that figures are so convincingly conveyed with minimum brushstrokes, yet so accurate in their gate, pose and form.
Gillian possesses a rare gift, about which she is very self-effacing and modest. Make no mistake though, she is a powerhouse when it comes to her vocation, and we are so pleased to represent her at Peter Barker Fine Art.
Gillian paints in oils with the intention of painting as much of the work in front of the subject as possible either using a box easel or pochade box, as appropriate. Sometimes it is possible to complete the whole work on site.
If not the reference material gathered is used to develop the painting in the studio. For Gillian, working ‘en plein air,’ despite the practical difficulties, provides the enjoyment of finding a means to explain, in paint, what is seen. This response can provide new ‘directions of travel’ in one’s development as a painter.
Gillian lives in Yorkshire and it is from there that most of her subject matter comes. Musicians, Marine subjects, Venice and children’s portraits have all been popular. Recently, Gillian has found interesting subject matter in the shipbuilding industry.
Gillian was elected to Associate Membership of the Royal Society of Marine Artists in 2014
- Royal Society of Marine Artists
Scholarships, Awards, Prizes
- 2007 The Daler/Rowley Award, Royal Society of British Artists Annual Exhibtion
- Royal Society of Marine Artists Annual Exhibition 2016
- Royal Society of Marine Artists Annual Exhibition 2015
- 2016 Royal Society of Marine Artists at Tenby
- 2015 Lotherton Hall Leeds (Solo Exhibition)
- 2014 Harlow Carr Gardens
- 2013 and 2014 Methodist Church Wetherby
- 2010 Blake ST, Gallery York
- 2010 Chantry House, Ripley
- 2007 and 2008 Lake District Summer Music (Solo Exhibition)
- 2006 Leeds Fine Art Club
- 2005 Greenhouse Gallery
- 2005 to 2013 Walker Galleries (Solo Exhibition)
- 2005 to 2009 Great Yorkshire Artists
- 1996 to 2013 Walker Galleries, Harrogate
The Artist Magazine, Masterclass