Amazing Cardboard Sculptures – American Artist
Warren King is an american artist currently living in New York City. Six years ago, Warren King travelled to China for the first time, to the village where generations of his family had lived. During this trip he was approached on the streets by people who, amazingly, had memories of his grandparents from when they had lived there before the Chinese Civil War – people with whom he shared a cultural, racial, and ancestral connection but a connection that was severed when his grandparents left that place 50 years ago.
Warren King latest work, a series of life-size figures made with only cardboard and glue, is an ongoing project to recreate the residents of his grandparents’ home village one individual at a time. The commonplace, discarded materials that he uses relate to the nature of the connections he is attempting to reconstruct. The forms are abstracted, and the backs of the figures are left unfinished, revealing hollowness and the artist’s meticulous construction. His work is not so much about the individuals that are represented as it is about his own attempts to understand them, and also the limitations of these efforts.
- June 2019, CODA Paper Art, Group Exhibition, CODA Museum, Apeldoorn, Netherlands
- June 2019, Accesso Galleria, Solo Exhibition, Pietrasanta, Italy
- September 2018, Womankind Art Exhibition, One Art Space, New York, New York
- June 2018, Outside the Box, Group Exhibition, The Grand Gallery, Las Vegas, Nevada
- January 2018, The Art of Asia, Group Exhibition, Peninsula Fine Arts Center, Newport News, Virginia
- October 2017, Habitantes de Shaoxing, Solo Exhibition, Piélagos, Spain
- September 2017, Habitantes de Shaoxing, Solo Exhibition, Santander, Spain
- June 2017, Outside the Box, Group Exhibition, The Grand Gallery, Las Vegas, Nevada
- June 2017, Annual Group Exhibition, Alma Löv Museum, Sunne, Sweden
- August 2016, Pahvisia Veistoksia, Solo Exhibition, Galleria Sculptor, Helsinki, Finland
- October 2015, Affordable Art Fair, Group Exhibition, Stockholm, Sweden
- June 2015, Hållbart, Solo Exhibition, Couture Galleri, Stockholm, Sweden
- April 2015, Supermarket Art Fair, Group Exhibition, Stockholm, Sweden
- February 2015, Disposable Connections, Solo Exhibition, Detroit Gallery, Stockholm, Sweden
- 1996-2010 Software Company Executive: Management of professional services for software companies specializing in data analysis.
- 1994-1996 Structural Engineer: Design and engineering of large-scale commercial buildings (stadiums, hospitals, office buildings, etc.)
- Stanford University, Master of Science, Structural Engineering, 1993
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, 1992