Born in the Netherlands in 1945, Jacobus spent his early years surrounded by the landscapes and cloud-laden skies made famous by the Dutch Masters throughout history.
Jacobus arrived in the United States in his early teens with an interest in art already indelibly imprinted. He started painting while in high school and received a well grounded education in the creative process. After graduating he traveled extensively in Europe and visited many of the famous museums and deepened his appreciation for fine art.
Upon his return to the United States Jacobus decided to channel his creativity in a new direction, one that would enable him to use his artistic ability and also provide some financial stability. He began to design and make jewelry. His unique and original works captured a following and contributed to his success as a goldsmith but he continued to pursue his first love, painting and exhibited both his jewelry and paintings at the Festival of Arts in Laguna Beach since 1978.
In 1994 Jacobus began painting on location during a trip to Santa Fe and exclaimed, “It was like discovering a new world!” On subsequent trips to New Mexico and Hawaii he produced vibrant color-filled landscapes that inspired him to begin a remarkable series of work that has been, and still is, widely acclaimed and admired. He currently divides his time between Maine, California and Hawaii.
A founding board member of LPAPA (Laguna Plein Air Association) Jacobus is being represented by galleries in Hawaii, California and Maine. In addition to many one man shows, he has participated in many group exhibitions in concert with LPAPA’s venues, including the Laguna Art Museum.
“I seek to expand my painting experience searching for scenes with a natural beauty that the viewer might miss in their rush through every day life. This could be as simple as the reflections in water of fishing boats tied to a dock, a wave breaking against the rocks or clouds floating across the sky. The more I paint, the more I see this beauty around me.”
Exhibitions, Competitions and Awards:
- 2016 LPAPA Signature Exhibition, Huntington Beach
- 2016 Honorable Mention, Cape Ann Plein Air.
- 2016 Irvine Museum Exhibition “A Summer Idyll: Picturesque Views of California”
- 2015 Official Poster for the Festival of Arts, Laguna Beach
- 2014 Irvine Museum Exhibition “100 Years of Plein Air Painting”
- 2014 Kapalua Award, Maui Plein Air Invitational
- 2012-2019 Pacific Edge Gallery. One man Shows
- 2011 Laguna Art Museum Award for Excellence at the 13th LPAPA Invitational.
- 2011 Maine Capitol Building solo show.
- 2011 Master Strokes, Laguna Art Museum
- 2010 Pacifico Award, Maui Plein Air Invitational
- 2009 Pacifico Award, Maui Plein Air Invitational
- 2008 Maui No Ka ‘Oi Award, Maui Plein Air Painting Invitational
- 2008 Official Poster for the Festival of Arts, Laguna Beach
- 2007 First Place, Casa Romantica Event, San Clemente
- 2007 Second Place, Heritage Art Exhibition
- 2007 Best of Show and Artist Choice Award, Maui Invitational
- 2006 Honorable mentions, Maui Invitational and San Juan Capistrano Plein Air Event
- 2004 Honorable Mention. Crystal Cove
- 2004 Peoples Choice, Plein Air Painting Invitational, Laguna Art Museum
- 2002-2003 LAPAPA National Juried Signature Membership Exhibition
- 2002 Second Place. Interpretive Media Awards for Laguna Coast Wilderness Park.
- 2001 Honorable Mention, Carmel Plein Air Competition
- 2001 Permanent Collection, Laguna Coast Wilderness Park Conservency
- 2000 Collectors Choice Award, Plein Air Painting Invitational, Laguna Art Museum
- 2000 – 2001 90th and 91st Annual Gold Medal Exhibition, Pasadena Historical Museum
- 2000 Spring Salon Show, Morseburg Gallery,Los Angeles
- 2000 Second Place, Bolsa Chica Plein Air Competition
- 2000 People’s Choice Award, Bolsa Chica Plein Air Competition
- 2000 Mayor’s Choice Award, Carmel Plein Air Competition
- 1999 Purchase Award, Festival of Arts, Laguna Beach
- Painting purchased for Festival of Arts Permanent Collection. Official 1999 Poster
- 1999 Juror, Festival of Arts, Laguna Beach and Echoes and Visions, Laguna Niguel
- 1999 Lifetime Membership Award, Festival of Arts
- 1999-2012 1st through 13th Annual Invitational Plein Air Painting Competition,Laguna Art Museum
- 1998-2003 Carmel Plein Air Painting Invitational Competition
- 1998 Laguna Art Museum – Contemporary and Early California Plein Air Painters
- 1998 Honorable Mention, Bowers Museum, Sights of Santa Ana Competition
- Artwork purchased for Santa Ana City Hall Permanent Collection
- 1998 John Wayne Airport Arts Program, Focus VII:Orange County Artists
- 1998 Laguna Beach Art Institute Exhibition for LPAPA Signature Members
- 1998 Orange County Museum of Art, Newport Beach, LPAPA group exhibition
- 1996 – 2011 The Esther Wells Collection, one man shows
- 1978 – 2019 Festival of Arts, juried show
- LPAPA (Laguna Plein Air Painters Association) Founding Board Member and Signature Member.
- 2003 – LPAPA President
- California Art Club – Artist Member
- PAPOH (Plein Air Painters of Hawaii. Signature Member
- Islanders – Signature Member